With age, it’s normal for fine lines and wrinkles to start appearing around the forehead. Excessive sun exposure and other lifestyle choices are contributing factors to this visible sign of ageing, and making some positive changes can help to lessen their appearance. There are also a range of non-invasive cosmetic treatments which you may wish to consider, as this can help to restore a more youthful appearance by smoothing out forehead wrinkles. Here’s an overview of how forehead wrinkles occur and the treatment options available.
Causes of Forehead Wrinkles
Even those who follow a strict skincare regime cannot avoid forehead wrinkles. Their presence is most noticed after the age of 25, and the following factors are all known to contribute to their development.
- Repetitive Facial Movements/Expressions – with age skin begins to lose its natural elasticity, and years of repetitive facial movements can cause forehead wrinkles to appear more prominently.
- Excessive UV Exposure – people who regularly suntan or work outdoors with a risk of excessive UV exposure are more likely to display signs of premature aging including wrinkles and skin discolouration.
- Genetic Factors – each individual has a unique genetic makeup, and as such the skin can age in different ways.
- Lifestyle Choices – smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, poor nutrition, lack of sleep, dehydration and lack of exercise can all cause damage to the skin. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle at every stage of life will aid in achieving a youthful appearance.
Anti-Wrinkle Treatment for Forehead Wrinkles
Whilst forehead wrinkles do not disappear on their own, there are a number of treatments available which can help to minimise their appearance and revitalise the skin. Anti-wrinkle injections are one of the most popular treatments at Cosmetic Doctor Brisbane, and this is a very effective way to temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Anti-wrinkle injections are a safe and non-surgical option which involve a neurotoxin-based protein being injected into the forehead muscles. Natural looking results are achieved by treating both the forehead and frown lines in a single session, resulting in a uniform appearance across the brow.
The injections help to temporarily reduce muscle activity, with most people noticing that their skin appears smoother and softer following their session. You should be aware that it can take up to 14 days for the treatment to take full effect, and results will last anywhere from 3 to 6 months.
Natural Ways to Reduce Forehead Wrinkles
Anti-wrinkle injections are a very effective way to reduce forehead wrinkles, but it can also be helpful to make a few simple lifestyle changes and be mindful of the following.
- Limit facial/eyebrow movements – facial expression plays an important role in human communication, but it’s good to be mindful of your movements. Highly expressive individuals will typically start to notice the signs of ageing earlier than less expressive people.
- Antioxidants – eating a healthy, well balanced diet will help to support skin health. Fresh fruits and vegetables are a rich source of antioxidants, which fight off free radicals whilst stimulating collagen production and supporting the skins renewal process.
- Stay Hydrated – consuming at least 2L of water daily will ensure you remain hydrated and skin remains supple and moisturised.
- Stay Sun Safe – try to avoid direct sun exposure, as this is a leading cause of skin damage.